Prime Minister Julia Gillard wants another debate but Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says no
OPPOSITION Leader Tony Abbott has rejected a proposal by Prime Minister Julia Gillard for another leaders’ debate.
In an TV interview tonight, Ms Gillard said she’d be willing to have another debate with Mr Abbott.
She’d previously rejected the opposition leader’s proposal for two more head-to-head contests.
“I’d be happy to be in it,” she told the Seven Network. “I want it to be about the economy.”
But Mr Abbott says he’s already set his schedule on the basis that the prime minister would only participate in one debate.
“I don’t see why I should abandon plans to visit electorates around Australia because the prime minister’s campaign is in trouble and she now thinks that she might be able to rescue it by personally targeted attacks,” the Liberal leader said in a statement.
“She should not change her mind with the campaign half over because the faceless men have advised her that she needs to appear more real.”
Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott went up against each other at a leaders’ debate in Canberra on Sunday, July 25.
When asked on the Seven Network if she would commit to a square-off on Sunday night at 6.30pm (AEST), Ms Gillard said: “Let’s see what Mr Abbott says, but if he is prepared to debate the economy, despite Peter Costello saying he reckons Tony Abbott doesn’t know much about it, then it’s on.”
“We think the voters would appreciate a lively exchange between the two leaders and an opportunity to see more of their real personality,” the Seven Network’s CEO David Leckie said in a statement.